Monday, March 29, 2010

I'm on fire

So I had scraps leftover from making the skirt and I made a matching purse.  It is a prototype.  I'll make a better one when I get back, but it is not bad for making the pattern in my head, it even has a pocket.  

First set of curtains

The vertical blinds were too frustrating for me to use, old and sticky.  So, Mike and I picked out this fabric and got to work.  After a bit of fussing and folding and calling Stacey we have our new curtains.  Just right for our living room.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

My first skirt!

I bought these great fabrics at Crafty Planet and embroidered the panels after I pinned them.  Between prepping the fabric, cutting, embroidering and understanding the pattern language it took me one week.  Not too bad.

I just love the spider and the bird and I had so much fun embroidering accents on them.  I got this pattern and my limited sewing nohow from this great book, S.E.W. Sew Everything Workshop, it has 10 patterns, 25 designs, and is written like a dummy guide, telling me everything I needed to know in order to read patterns, pick the right fabric, and and cut patterns, things I am supposed to remember from 1 term of family & consumer science class in 7th grade.  
I couldn't have done it without Stacy explaining fabric 101 to me and Mike for his ability to read a pattern and see it in his mind.  You guyz rock!

Next up on my list is a matching purse made with the fabric I made the waistband with and some rocking curtains for our front windows.  After that it is time to paint the house and hit the garden for a bit.  51 academic days till I break!

Saturday, March 6, 2010


Mike and I worked diligently for a few weeks to finally finish the big girl blanket that I've been imagining for Veda for a bit know.  Here's how it turned out.
I embroidered it with the colloquial equivalent of "Sleep tight, I love you." in langueges spoken by her family.